Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pickles

Several years ago my mom and I attempted to make pickles and it didn't turn out so well. We missed a step so they were too salty and inedible. Well I've been afraid of trying again, until yesterday. A friend of mine (who's never liked pickles before) told me about these refrigerator pickles that her mom made. She said they were delicious and super simple. So while we were down at Eastern Market (farmer's market) today I saw a small basket of pickling cukes for a dollar and bought them. I got the season pack and washed some jars. First thing tomorrow I'm gonna tackle pickles...then sauerkraut (got an easy recipe for that too!).

I'll let you know how it turns out. I haven't had the best luck lately, Thursday I caught the microwave on fire making a baked potato. Normally I'm extremely competent in the kitchen but I've had a streak of bad luck. Today I made Indian food for dinner and over spiced it to the point where I had Cocoa Puffs for dinner (my husband loved it). I also burned broccoli a couple weeks ago. Even following recipes to the letter has been failing me on and off lately...I have to break this streak and plan to do so with pickles.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Betsy's Closet said...

Success!!!! The pickles came out great!! I'm so happy. They are absolutely delicious and I can't wait to make more. I also tackled the sauerkraut but it went well but won't be ready for a week or so.

Betsy's Closet said...

I'm so excited! It looks like my sauerkraut came out too! At least it smells like sauerkraut, it will still be 6 weeks or so before I can eat it and it won't peak until about 4 months.